One of the biggest name in Youtube has been served notice by both Disney and Youtube, thanks to his recent stunt of pushing an anti-Semitic themed video on this channel. Disney had signed a multi-million dollar contract with the Youtube star through its fully-own studio, Maker Studios. The studio has severed ties with the star, canceling upcoming content that was planned to be made with the famous online artist.
Youtube meanwhile stated that they have canceled the release of a coming series and dropped him from a premier advertising program. Felix Kjellberg, a Swede better known by his YouTube alias PewDiePie, first came into the limelight through his videos of him commenting and playing games on his Youtube channel, which has so far garnered him over 53 million followers.
The announcements came after The Wall Street Journal reported that Mr. Kjellberg had posted nine anti-Semitic videos since August.
“Although Felix has created a following by being provocative and irreverent, he clearly went too far in this case, and the resulting videos are inappropriate. Maker Studios has made the decision to end our affiliation with him going forward,” a Maker Studios spokeswoman said in a statement on Monday. Youtube is also said that his upcoming release of “Scare PewDiePie Season 2,” a sequel to an original YouTube series, has been canceled and they are also dropping PewDiePie from Google Preferred, a program that offers advertisers access to its most popular channels.
This is a blow to all parties, as PewDiePie lost the lucrative deal with Disney, Youtube losing content for their paid subscription service Youtube Red, and Disney lost the draw of banking on PewDiePie’s large number of followers to their own channel. What can we expect from here on-wards is anybody’s guess, so we have to keep an eye out and see if this will result in a positive or negative outcome to the online content industry.
Source of news taken from The New York Times