Wiko introduced their newest addition to its wide array of affordable yet functional phones. Wiko released the Tommy 3 Plus in September 2018 and the team at PC.com had the opportunity to put it through its paces. Priced at only RM399, the Tommy 3 Plus is a reliable and affordable smartphone. It comes in five exciting colours, this includes Anthracite Matte, Anthracite Mirror, Gold, Cherry Red, and Green. We are definitely more partial to the Anthracite Mirror model that we received for this review.
Wiko is a considerably young phone manufacturer hailing from Marseille, south of France. Wiko aims to offer unique products that ooze the “French” inspiration and vision while aiming to facilitate and improve their users’ daily lives.
The Tommy 3 Plus, a successor to the previous Tommy 3 comes equipped with a bigger RAM, a higher resolution camera and a slightly larger battery size. For just an extra RM100 the Tommy 3 Plus is a rather amazing steal.
The Tommy 3 Plus has a 5.45-inch display with 720p resolution and an 18:9 aspect ratio. The phone size is ideally suited for a comfortable one-hand use with a smooth multimedia display and an all-around great visual experience. While it’s smaller stature might irk some people, as a small device, it actually plays your media pretty well. Watching streaming services like YouTube or Netflix can be a delight, as well as displaying your texts, videos and pictures in a superb quality.
The all-new upgraded front and rear camera now at 13MP and 5MP respectively also allows the capturing of sharp and crisp images with a smoother video taking exploits. While not the best in the market, for its price it certainly does the job. Coupled with an internal memory of 16GB and an expandable external storage up to 128GB, this phone is the perfect starter kit for those interested in discovering their knack for taking pictures. Instagram photos, Snapchats, you name it, are all at your disposal.
Compared to its previous iteration, the RAM got a significant upgrade. Now with 2GB of RAM, it can finally be considered a phone of the 21st Century. With this as well, the Tommy 3 Plus offers better multitasking capability, as compared to previous models. The experience while running multiple heavy performance applications were reasonable despite the occasional lags that is quite expected from a 2GB RAM. The processor of the Tommy 3 Plus as well, maintains a Quad-Processor, which definitely delivers high background performance. A plus with this is that it does so without compromising on a smooth frontend browsing experience. Overall, the Tommy 3 Plus does an adequate job for sure.
The new Tommy 3 Plus runs on the Android 8.0 Oreo. The eighth major update and the 15th version of the Android operating system aims to be a faster, smarter and more powerful system that empowers every user. The system focuses on improving application boot speed while optimising background activities that are rarely used. Added with a new update to the Google Play Protect and a better battery management system, the Android Oreo seems to be the perfect partner-in-crime to the already impressive Tommy 3 Plus.
After continuous mildly heavy usage for days, it’s safe to say that the Wiko Tommy Plus can withstand a full day of use. It won’t peter out on you, even if you spent the day browsing Instagram, or posting photos on Facebook. The 2900 mAH certainly pulls its weight and is a must-need on a busy day.
Overall, the Wiko Tommy 3 Plus is a surprising delight. It’s smaller stature, cheaper price, and overall great build quality really helps the Wiko Tommy 3 Plus in its favour. While some may scoff at its 2 GB RAM or sub-par camera, for the price you pay for the Wiko 3 Tommy Plus is definitely a good trade off. If you’re looking for a cheap starter phone for a younger member of your family, then look no further than the Wiko Tommy 3 Plus.
- Device Type – Android 4G Smartphone
- CPU – Quad-Core 1.3GHz ARM Cortex-A53
- Chipset – MediaTek MT6739WA
- GPU -PowerVR GE8100
- Camera – 13 Megapixels with Single-LED and AF Rear Camera | 5 Megapixel Front camera with LED Flash
- Memory – RAM- 2GB LPDDR3, 677MHz | ROM 16GB External Memory Support up to 128GB
- Display – Screen size 5.45 inches IPS HD+ (720 x 1440 Pixels)
- Battery – Removable 2,900 mAh Lithium-Polymer
- SIM – Dual SIM (Micro SIM + Micro SIM), Dual Standby
- Sensors – Proximity Sensor, Accelerometer, Ambient Light, Compass
- Color – Black, Gold, Red, Blue
- Operating System – Android 8.1 Oreo
- I/O Interface – 1x Micro SIM Card Slot, 1x Micro SIM Card Slot, TF/Micro SD Card Slot, 3.5mm Audio Out Port, Micro USB Slot, Speaker, Microphone
- Dimensions – 71.3 mm x 147.6 mm x 8.4 mm
- Weight – 150 Grams (With Battery)
- More Features – Plastic Body Design, LTE 50 Mbps, HSPA plus, LTE CAT4 150 Mbps Download, HSUPA 5.76 Mbps Upload, HSDPA 21 Mbps Download, Computer Sync, OTA Sync, Tethering, OTG Support, NFC (Optional), FM Radio, 18:9 Aspect Ratio, 2.5D Curved Glass Screen, Face Recognition.
Wiko Tommy 3 Plus
A surprised delight