Microsoft announced its first major update since the release of Windows 10 two days ago, here are ten surprises you will find on your new operating software in the morning.
New features have been added to Cortana (not officially available in Malaysia, change your location setting and you can download this app) Microsoft Edge, Mail and Calendar, Maps, Groove, Photos, Skype, Xbox and much more. Looks like Microsoft engineers have been taking the feedbacks constructively and worked on these updates, the guys are listening!
Some of the added features include:
Cortana: Now you can set reminders using your device’s pen. Just scribble a note in the Cortana Notebook and Cortana will recognize your writing, whether it’s a phone number, email address or even physical address and help you set reminders. Cortana can keep track of your event and movie bookings too, sending you helpful reminders to know where to go and get there on time, plus the option to book and track an Uber right from your event reminder. Availability is now in Japan, Australia, Canada in English and India in English with features and experiences customized for each market.
- Microsoft Edge: Microsoft Edge now syncs your Favorites and Reading list items across devices so you can easily get back to the content you’re interested in most. Tab preview allows you to hover over your open tabs and get a preview of what’s on those websites without leaving the page you’re on. For holiday shoppers, Cortana now notifies you of the best coupons from retailers such as Staples, Macy’s and Best Buy when shopping in Microsoft Edge. When you visit the site of a supported retailer, Cortana will alert you that there are coupons available for additional discounts. (US only)
- Mail and Calendar: You can now personalize your inbox with light and dark themes, the accent color you used to personalize Windows, or even your own background photos. Plus, MS has added support for new types of calendars, including religious, lunar, and even Zodiac calendars.
- Photos: The Photos app allows your photos to tell your story, enhancing them to make them look great, and creating ready-to-share photo albums. In addition to automatic albums, you can now create manual photo albums, and sync any album across all your devices so you can see your photos anywhere. Animated GIFs is now possible and other rich-media files like Living Images that can be shared easily with friends and family. There’s better photo viewing with faster performance and right-click menus for quick access to key features.
- Maps: Now when you arrive, never lose your car again by saving your parking location. New features coming soon like “Take Me Home” giving you one-click access to turn-by-turn navigation home, from wherever you are.
- Xbox: Windows 10 makes all your gaming better with a consistent gaming experience across devices by extending Xbox Live to every screen. Through a simple software update, Xbox One will update to be powered by Windows 10, marking another step forward in a vision for unified gaming. Windows 10 enables faster experiences on Xbox One, you can get into multiplayer sessions and Parties faster, your most-used content is more readily available, and gaming experiences tailored to your favorite titles are more easily discoverable. Xbox One will become even more intelligent with the help of Cortana in 2016. This is exciting, fans need to stay tuned!
- Groove: Groove works across a wider range of devices – including iOS, Android and Windows phones – to give a uniquely seamless experience for enjoying music on whatever device used. You can also enjoy ad-free access to one of the largest music catalogs on the planet with Groove Music Pass.
- Skype: Is now integrated, select Skype features helps to get messaging and calling quickly from the start menu or taskbar via Messaging and Skype video. User can check the Consumer Preview and tell MS what the want to see come next.